We everyone know that WordPress is the best blogging platform, with managing over 35% of sites on the internet. WordPress has more benefits than other blogging platforms. But the problem is wordpress.com vs wordpress.org, what to choose.
This is a really interesting comparison.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org.
Though we are familiar with the website building platforms, still there are many concerns in our minds about such platforms.
When we need to select any website building platform, we must be cleared with all the doubts to make our website building process easy.
For example, if you search for WordPress from Google, then you come up with the two different options, which are WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
You might be confused about how they are different from each other, and what are the features of WordPress.com or WordPress. org?
If you are having doubts related to both of these website building and CMS (content management system) platforms, and then you have reached the right place.
Today, we are here to clear all your doubts related to these platforms. Choose the best platforms based on your need.
So, have an eye to the information below
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
What is WordPress?
WordPress is normally a content management software, where you can edit and manage your website and content.
What is WordPress.com?
WordPress.com is the most powerful hosting services provider founded by WordPress.
Wordpress.com is free to use, but restricted with some features. Later also you can upgrade it.
Most of the start-up bloggers use WordPress.com free platform to start their writing.
What is WordPress.org?
WordPress.org is also known as the real WordPress, it offers the website owners to host (self-host) and build their website.
If you are looking for the self-hosting platform, then it is the best choice for you.
WordPress.org allows you to create software with WordPress and let you host it separately.
Features WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
If you think that both WordPress.com and wordpress.org have the same features, then you are wrong.
There are massive differences between the features of both of the platforms.
So, check out some of the significant features of both of the platforms.
Features of WordPress.com
- WordPress.com is the best platform for beginners and joining wordpress.com is entirely free.
- While you will have wordpress.com, you will get 3 GB of free space to store stuff, but users can also move to any of their other packages to access its services.
- With the change in technology, they update their tools or their features to offer a better experience to its users.
- Get a free domain. But it looks unprofessional.
- You can get a pre-installed SSL certificate.
- Basic jetpack features (plugin)
- Free access to a wide range of professional themes.
Features of WordPress.org
- If you use wordpress.org, you only need to invest your money on your website hosting and domain name. Therefore, it is called a self-hosted platform.
- For your goodness, there are some free hosting providers available in the market. If you want to use wordpress.org from free hosting, they serve you better. But whatever it is free to have some restrictions in using. Because no one was ready to give everything free.
- Controlling and customize the website is very much easy.
- Being your website owner, you can also run paid, free or customized plugin on your website. It will add more features and offers a better interface to the visitors.
- There are thousands of free and paid WordPress themes available to use on WordPress.org. So, you can also your desired design for your website to make it look more appealing.
- If you are getting a lot of traffic on your wordpress.org blog, then you can quickly run ads on your blog, while not sharing your earnings along with the others.
- You can also create multiple users for your website. So that your team of members do their work simultaneously.
- Creating e-commerce and Selling products with the help of the wordpress.org is very much easy.
- The important thing that differs WordPress from other platforms is their plugins. With over 50,000 plugins in the WordPress, it rules the content management. For your every need there is a plugin. For example – if you need link building, broken link checking, SEO enhance, and many more, than will be at least 10 plugins for every particular needs.
Cost of WordPress.com vs Cost of wordpress.org
Depending upon the cost of both of the platforms, a website owner can choose any of the platforms.
Here we have a quick overview of the difference between the cost of both of the platforms.
Cost of wordpress.com
The most significant advantage of using wordpress.com is that it is free of charge.
But if you want to use wordpress.com for your official or commercial purpose, you have to pay anywhere around $8/month. Sometimes it could be based on features you needed
Moreover, if you’re going to have a customized domain, you should pay $15/ year. It implies that you have to pay around $111 for a year.
(This post contains affiliate links in which I will earn a small commission if you buy it at no extra cost to you)
Cost of wordpress.org
The wordpress.org is based on the hosting providers you are choosing.
But there are some reasons why you should avoid free hosting.
If you are choosing a good hosting,
It will cost you $3 to $4 per month. At this cost, you can get shared hosting from some good hosting provider.
If you are a beginner, then shared hosting is best suitable for you.
If you are a beginner and need some technical assistance through customer support, then the siteground is the better.
Siteground has much better customer support.
If you need dedicated hosting (private server) then, basically it will cost you more than $50/month.
Dedicated hostings are needed when your monthly traffic goes over 50,000 visitors.
Besides this, there are many packages available for hosting companies. You can choose any of the packages depending upon your budget and need.
Disadvantages of wordpress.com vs WordPress.org
To choose any of the platforms we believe that you must have an idea about the disadvantages of both of the platforms. Therefore, after deep research, we have found the disadvantages between both of the platforms.
Disadvantages of WordPress.com (free)
While you are getting wordpress.com, you will not need to purchase a hosting plan every year, customizing or maintaining your website. You can find out a free plans in wordpress.com. But still, there are many disadvantages of using wordpress.com, which are here below;
- While you have free plans, you cannot remove the WordPress ads on your website, which are quite disturbing. 2.
- You cannot place an ad on your wordpress.com website. Because most of the ad companies don’t accept the free hosted websites. Sometimes, WordPress policy also restricts you.
- In the free version, you can’t add the plugins.
- Uploading a new plugin on the wordpress.com website is restricted. To upload plugins into your wordpress.com you have to pay. You can also choose the WordPress VIP plan, which costs around $5000/month.
- Selecting your desired WordPress theme with wordpress.com is very much easy. Being a free member, you can only use free themes available with the wordpress.com. To access the premium themes, and you have to use their business plan.
- Besides this, you can customize only a few things available while you are a free member of wordpress.com.
- The owner of the wordpress.com can delete your website anytime. If there will be a violation of their terms and conditions.
- If you are a free member of wordpress.com, you cannot make your eCommerce website.
- You cannot add google analytics to your website.
- No customer support, less security, and no more backups and more things in the list
Disadvantages of wordpress.org
Unlike wordpress.com, wordpress.org has limited disadvantages. So, have a quick look at those disadvantages.
- To have a website on wordpress.org, you have to pay on hosting plans, and it cost around $3-$10 each month and need to buy separate hosting. In the case, if your website traffic increases, then you have to pay more on the hosting plans.
- While you are using wordpress.org, then you may receive updates on a regular basis. You should pay attention to those updates and get that done regularly.
- Initial setup are required for the first time buying a hosting, and it takes some time to understand the control panel and their features placement. If you ask us which is better for bloggers, I will definitely suggest you the blue host or siteground, because both are WordPress suggested.
- You must perform a backup of your website regularly. To perform a backup, you can also use plugins available with wordpress.org. Some times low-cost hosting providers don’t provide you backup plans. If you post blogs daily, then it becomes more critical for you. You can also have an answer about how often I post a blog or blogging frequency.
WordPress.org recommended hosting providers
Eventhough there are hundreds of WordPress hosting providers in the market, these three are the WordPress recommended.
Which is better WordPress.com or wordpress.com?
After making all the necessary things cleared related to wordpress.com and wordpress.org, now you think that which is better
You want to choose,
wordpress.com or wordpress.org.
But you do not get worried, while we are here to give you a perfect answer related to your problem.
If you a new blogger and do not want to make money with your blogging, then choosing wordpress.com will be the best idea.
Besides this, during your initial days, collect as much as an email from your reader. Catch the reasons for the importance of email marketing for blogging sites.
But on the other hand, if you want to make money with your WordPress blog, you should choose the platform for wordpress.org.
It is the self-hosted website building platform, which is very much beneficial for you.
If you don’t have enough budget, you can also choose free hosting providers for your self hosted website.
Later you upgrade it.
If you want to make money with your existing wordpress.com platform, you must switch to its business platform, which costs you around $100/year.
In our opinion, you should choose the wordpress.org platform.
Whether you want to earn money from your blogging or take your offline business to an online platform, it is the best idea.
I personally suggest you go with a self-hosted blog. Companies like Bluehost offers you a free domain when you buy their hosting.
How to start working with wordpress.org?
We know, now you are curious to know how to start working with wordpress.org.
Well, we are here to provide you all the detailed information related to it.
You can choose any of the domains depending upon your business type or depending on the purpose of making a blog and related to your niche.
Website hosting is the place where you store all the files on the internet.
check out our guide to starting a blog in wordpress
You can check from the internet about the best hosting services provider and compare its features.
But we recommend you to choose Bluehost for the best hosting. You can also grab the benefit from their promotional coupon codes.
For a beginner, it is always difficult to select the right website builder. But we believe that after reading the above post, you have cleared with all the things.
But the biggest thing you must keep in mind before choosing wordpress.com or wordpress.org is your budget. So, while selecting the platform, you must keep your budget in mind.
Thank you for reading this article, if you find this blog useful kindly share it.
Did I missed any point in the comparison between the wordpress.com and wordpress.org? Comment me below.